Regular exercise, stress reduction and a healthy weight are key factors in the prevention of heart disease. When combined with healthy eating, the benefits are even greater! It’s never too late to make heart-friendly changes to your diet. Where do you start? Take a look at your fats.
New and emerging research indicates that healthy diets high in DHA and EPA omega 3’s lower our risk of heart attack and stroke. DHA and EPA have been shown to:
- Improve abnormal heart rhythms that can lead to sudden death.
- Prevent the formation of hard deposits (plaques) along the inner wall of the artery, reducing the chances of blockages in the artery.
- Reduce triglycerides, a form of fat, in the blood.
Like other cold-water fatty fish (mackerel and sardines), salmon is one of the richest dietary sources of DHA and EPA omega 3 fats.
Eat salmon at least twice a week, fresh, frozen or low-sodium canned. For the healthiest dishes, bake, broil or grill salmon instead of frying.
How much? A serving of salmon is 2.5 oz. or 75 grams (about the size of your palm).
Citrusy Summer Salmon Recipe
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minute
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large oranges, peeled, sectioned and coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) sliced green onions
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) olive oil
- 6 salmon fillets (about 1.5 lb or 750 g)
- Lemon or lime slices (optional)
Combine tomatoes, oranges, green onions, 4 tablespoons cilantro and jalapeno pepper in a large bowl. Set aside. Blend olive oil with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro in a small bowl. Grill or broil salmon, brushing with cilantro spread, for 15 minutes, or until salmon is done. Serve salsa with salmon. Garnish with lemon or lime wedge.
Nutritional Information (per serving: one fillet)
- 18.0 g fat
- 3.2 g saturates
- 6.5 g polyunsaturates
- 0 g trans fats
- 56 mg cholesterol
- 10 g carbohydrates
- 7 g sugar
- 1.9 g fibre
- 20.7 g protein
- 88 mg sodium
- 584 mg potassium
- 43 mg vitamin C
- 176 RE vitamin A
- 51 mg calcium
- 0.7 mg iron
- 300 IU vitamin D
- 1.64 mg vitamin E