Photobiomodulation therapy, also known as laser therapy, is a medical treatment that uses light energy to stimulate Photobiomodulation. Photobiomodulation involves photon interactions with the body’s cells that result in increasing blood flow, increasing circulation and stimulating healing.
WATCH HERE TO LEARN MORE
Photons enter the tissue and interact with the cytochrome c complex within the mitochondria. This leads to an increase in cellular metabolism, which can decrease pain as well as accelerate the healing process. This cellular interaction also results in an increase in adenosine triphosphate production or ATP. ATP is required for the repair and regeneration of cells. Photobiomodulation helps to restore cellular energy balance and function, which prevents cell death. This helps reduce inflammation, edema, and speeds up the tissue repair process.
What are the aims of laser therapy?
Through the following mechanisms, laser therapy is used for tissue repair, decreased inflammation and pain reduction:
– Altered nerve conduction velocity
– Increased cell membrane permeability. This allows healing properties in the blood to get to the cells more quickly
– Increased macrophage activity, which helps to break down waste matter
– Vasodilation of microvessels, which increases blood flow to the area
– Increased cellular respiration
– Increased ATP production
– Increased collagen production
What conditions can be treated with laser therapy?
Laser therapy is used to treat a variety of musculoskeletal conditions, such as
– Muscle strains
– Ligament strains
– Tendonitis, including tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow
– Neck and back pain
– Plantar fasciitis
– Achilles’ tendinopathy
– Fracture healing
– Musculoskeletal and myofascial pain
– Trigger points
– Inflammatory conditions such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
– Carpal tunnel syndrome
Laser therapy sessions are painless and non-invasive. Contact me and let me create an individualized plan to address your specific needs and enhance your overall wellbeing. Call us today at 403.229.0129 or email me here.